Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What's in a name?



I’ve been thinking about starting a blog for a little while now, but have distracted myself with meaningless pursuits instead, mainly watching countless YouTube videos. I’ve even stalled tonight for that reason, and the simple reason that I have not been able to come up with a good name for my blog. I wanted to call it fishoutofwater, which is a reference to my dry sense of humor.

In fact, on my facebook profile that’s almost exactly how I described it except that I inverted the two phrases to make it even drier and weirder. My exact words were: “I have a dry fish. It’s like a sense of humor out of water.” I don’t know if anybody got the joke, but that doesn’t matter, ‘cause I did. Also, I think I just found my blogspot name. (Crossing fingers)…

I had decided to write on MS Word until I could come up with a good name for my blog. Why? ‘Cause it’s my blog, dang it! I thought about something like Midnightranting or everythingaboutnothing, but those were too generic. I wanted to come up with a name that was a reference to a quote from one of my favorite movies, my very most favorite being Little Shop of Horrors, not the old cheesy horror movie, but the tongue-in-cheek, star-studded musical from the 80’s, the year I was born to be exact. I would’ve also been good with a phrase from a song by one of my favorite bands, among which are Cake, Weezer, Daft Punk, etc. Nothing came to mind. I even turned toward using a band name that I had come up for the band that I fantasized about being in. The name was The Heck, but it was taken. I felt that it was the best description of what this blog is all about. After all, there is no theme, and I suspect that it will be very random slice. That could possibly be a good blog name…we’ll see…I think I like Ihaveadryfish best.


Anyway, now that I've bored you to death, I will leave you with one random funny idea that came to me the other day. I really want to hear a group like The Three Tenors (I think they're dead...hmmm...), Il Divo or some similar popera group perform their rendition of a song by the Beastie Boys. I'm thinking that Sabotage would be an excellent one for them to cover. Just listened to it...I was wrong. Sabotage has mainly one singer the whole time, but Intergalactic is more like what I was expecting, where the three are constantly taking turns spitting their lines, and when it's one person at a time, the other two come in at the end to finish up the phrase. What do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g Wrong again... Brass Monkey would be the best by far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbQyXZvkbA I think I'll put this in Jimmy Fallon's suggestion box. Google it if you haven't already. Good night!

3 comments: