Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Shins and Dune Review!

I don't know why I missed last week. I think just because I was busy with cleaning the house. I'm realizing that although this is good, it's definitely not priority over housework and applying for jobs, things like that.
Lately, I've been listening to The Shins. They're really good! I'm really only familiar with Wincing the Night Away, but I definitely want to hear their other albums. I've started listening to a few tracks from their latest album Port of Morrow on YouTube as I write this post.
Speaking of James Mercer (lead singer, lead guitarist, composer and lyricist for The Shins), I'm excited to see what his second Broken Bells album sounds like.
Speaking of albums that I'm excited about! I'm way excited to hear Supermodel by Foster the People. I already love the sound on Coming of Age.

I still need to review Dune by Frank Herbert! I finished it a few weeks ago. I have so much to say about it. First off, it's a great story and plot. I don't really want to say much about it though, because I don't want to give anything away. I will say that it's a story set in the distant future about betrayal and vengeance, but that is a very watered down synopsis. It doesn't really even do it justice to say that it's a science fiction novel, although true, it's so much more than that.
Originally, Frank Herbert was asked to write an article on sand dunes. He never wrote that article. 6 years of research, and finally, Frank Herbert wrote Dune. The thing that sets Dune apart from other books is the exhaustive detail of everything. Normally, that can be boring, but every detail contributes to the story, propelling it forward. Each chapter is opened with a quote by one of the characters, or a paragraph from a history book from the planet of Arrakis, or a verse from a song or poem. It's details like these that almost convince you that Mr. Herbert was there.
Furthermore, there's the way he creates various cultures, languages, philosophies, economies, governments, religions, ecologies, agricultures, and shows how all of these things interact simultaneously to affect society, and how people in their various cultures and standings in society have varying viewpoints on issues. That probably sounds boring, but it's actually a very fascinating read the way that he does it. It's an exciting story that never lets up, although I would also warn people that it is not an easy read. Many deep philosophies and complex woven plots and sub-plots are the building blocks for this story.
The character development is superb. Every character is well-rounded and complex. There are so many alterior motives. Another thing that makes this story unique is the way Frank Herbert is able to show how each character is right in their thinking despite the fact that they may be making themselves enemies.
Dune is an exciting story with layers upon layers of plot-lines, themes, and characters.

© 2014 Ihaveadryfish.blogspot.com

I love you so much sweet heart!  

No comments:

Post a Comment